Monday, October 5, 2009

Frosty!

I'll be covering up the tomato plants tonight as the temperature will be down near freezing early tomorrow morning in my neighborhood. We live up on the hill, so the coldest air settles into the lower valleys allowing my tomatoes a longer growing season. It is clear and dry out there, with light winds, a perfect situation for a frosty fall morning. Earlier today it was absolutely beautiful. The official high temperature was only 56 degrees, but it felt warmer than that. Tomorrow and Wednesday will be very nice too, and probably a little warmer. We should crack the 60 mark tomorrow afternoon. By Thursday and Friday some cooler air will be moving in, and I fear by the end of the week the tomato growing season will come to an end as a hard freeze will grip the Inland Northwest. there isn't a whole lot of chance for rain over the next 5 to 7 days, just a much chillier air mass by the weekend.

Monday is my day off, but it was a busy one nonetheless. This morning's tennis engagement went pretty well. One of the regulars, Tuck, had his brother Dick visiting from the Chicago area. He played with us today, and he and Tuck teamed against John and I. They beat us the first set, as I had yet to come out of my Sunday night coma, but then John and I won the second set, as well as an abbreviated third in a tie breaker. Dick is a very young 88 years old, and his game is best described as crafty. he can place the ball pretty much wherever he wants to, just like his little brother, so it was like playing against a team that was a mirror image of each other. My meteorology class went well, and after that was a 5 hour session for my educational purposes. I got a lot done so it was time well spent, and I might have even learned a thing or two. I did manage to watch a little of the Packer-Viking game, which went pretty much as I had expected. Now I sit here in front of the computer backspacing to correct all of my errors in typing. I think that it is time to take a dip in the hot tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment