Sunday, February 14, 2010

Tax Day

Today started off with our regular Sunday services, but the experience was not at all regular. We had our worship services in the new church building, at least in one of the classrooms, so it was a new and wonderful change. We're still a few weeks away from being in the new sanctuary, but to have a lot more elbow room and to be in the new building was quite a thrill for most of us. As with any time you make a change, there were a few folks that were not totally happy...oh well...Lincoln had something to say about that...Abe Lincoln that is!

After church we came home and I made a head long dive into more work. I promised Kay that I would get going on the taxes, and get the FAFSA form started for Beth's second year in school. For the past couple of years tax preparation has been unduly taxing, as it has been a struggle to not have to send the government any more money than they had already confiscated from our earnings. Today was quite a different story though, as a drop in our income and the fact that we have a kid in college made for quite a change in our status with the IRS. When it was all said and done, and Turbo Tax had completed its rounds, I found that we are owed several thousand dollars in return from the government, mainly due to tax credits for college students. After about an hour of doing the dance of joy in the kitchen with Kay, I called Beth to negotiate her cut of our new found windfall. After several seconds of intense bargaining it was settled that I would pay her one dollar in return for her being born 19 years ago and making it into college. Sounds fair to me!

This evening was highlighted by a rare chance to watch TV. Kay and I sat in on the first episode of this season's Amazing Race. We love that show as it is a chance to see parts of the world that we have never been to, and probably never will. It is also fun to see these people struggle to stay in the race when I know that if Beth and I were part of the race we would kick their butts...BIG TIME! Not that I am self-righteous or anything, but I have a built in sense of direction that makes me able to find anything anywhere without much problem. Perhaps one of these days you will see the two of us on CBS at 8:00pm every Sunday...then again, maybe not!

No comments:

Post a Comment