Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?











We have finally made it to Wisconsin! Actually, we arrived last evening but I have been unable to gain access to a wireless internet network until this morning. There is not much available in the Wild West town of Buffalo, Wyoming or at my folks house in La Crosse, Wisconsin. I am reporting to you today from the La Crosse Public Library. This place is booming! As I mentioned...we made it...but there was some question about that yesterday. We arrived in beautiful Buffalo at 10:15pm MDT on Sunday, after a relatively uneventful day of travel, and then hit the road again by 6:30am Monday. We rose to a steady rain, but undaunted, headed east. Maybe we should have been a little bit more daunted? The rain intensified as we drove eastbound on I-90, and a 25 to 35 mile per hour head wind soon developed. Now one would usually expect that you would have to put up with such stuff for an hour or two, and then you could reasonably think you might break out of it. Not so! I was in a battle with the elements that lasted for 10 hours and about 600 miles! It was like driving in a hurricane. As we pulled into Jackson, Minnesota, in the southwest part of the state...for refueling...I finally gave in and had Kay drive to give my arms, hands and teeth (10 hours worth of grinding) a break. Stop me if you have heard this before. As we entered the interstate for the last leg of the journey the rain almost immediately stopped and the winds died down. The pavement was dry all the way to the Mississippi River! Perhaps I should have had her drive all day. Today is not a travel day, it is a day to rest and recover, and for me to get my homework done for the week.
ONE FINAL NOTE: If you have been wondering where the Kiester of the United States is, and possibly the world, I have found it for you. It is located just a little west of Albert Lea in south central Minnesota!

1 comment:

  1. A number of years ago I was in the left turn lane waiting for traffic to clear for a left turn. Wham, a car smashed into me from bedhind. Beer cans started flying out of the other car. The driver was from Kiester. I was hit in the Kiester by a guy from Kiester.

    ReplyDelete