Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Survived the Great Hurricane of 2010

Yesterday was a pretty windy day. In fact, it was very windy. Up until this evening I didn't realize that we had all survived a natural disaster the likes of which has not been seen around here since the days of Noah. Thankfully I have been informed of this fact by the constant news updates from the local CBS TV affiliate this evening that I should be amazed that I am still alive! The other stations are very likely trumpeting the same message of doom, but I can only watch one at a time. On Monday there was a wind gust that reached 59 miles per hour as measured at the airport. Oh the humanity...one could not expect either man or beast to be able to endure such a calamity. Granted, there were a few trees that were blown over in the area...which happens every spring...and I must admit that we did lose a significant portion of a lilac bush, although it was due at least in part to a bad case of root rot! While this catastrophe was occurring there were a number of people who said to me; "I bet you are glad that you aren't working at the TV station anymore", and to that I replied, "You're darned right! By this morning that savage storm had abated, and we were left to assess the damage. Oh, I almost forgot, My hibiscus plant that I had placed in the planting bed in front of the porch had blown over as well, and I had to spend a good portion of the day getting it to stand upright again. That took at least 13 seconds.

All seriousness aside, I have to admit that the weather over the course of the past month has been really lousy. It hasn't been warm, and it hasn't been all that sunny either. What it has been, at least according to my friends who are involved in farming, is very beneficial. The soil moisture is in good shape, and the wheat fields across the Palouse to our south are in good shape, so all in all for early May we are doing pretty well...hurricanes not withstanding.

2 comments:

  1. I thought hurricane wind minimum was 75mph. We only had 58mph gust yesterday, hardly worth mentioning, maybe if we hit 59mph like you did it would have been a big news event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bright sun out there, aannnnddd snow! Spring in the beautiful northwest

    ReplyDelete