Sunday, March 21, 2010

Wow...What A Day!

It is 9:00pm on Sunday and my head is still spinning. What a day it has been. We opened the doors on our new church this morning and a whole bunch of people came rolling in. Over the past few months we have averaged about 85 to 90 people each Sunday, but today we had more that 150! I like to say that the room was comfortably full. We had folks sitting in every pew, but we all had enough elbow room to be very comfy. I must admit that I was a bit nervous before and during the service today, and I am still wound up this evening. There were lots of smiling faces and good comments that came out of today's worship, but we will have to wait and see if we really made a lasting impact on those who came to see what we are all about at St. John's.

After the service, and the Bible class that followed, I donned my striped shirt and was off to officiate games at the Dan Fitzgerald Basketball Camp this afternoon. Fitz, the former coach of the Gonzaga Bulldogs, passed away very suddenly a couple of months ago due to a massive heart attack. He was only 67 years old. The camp, and his love for the kids and the game continues on though, and probably will for many years to come. It is always fun to work these games as the coaches are there to coach the kids, and not to constantly scream at the officials!

When I got home I was met by my buddy Brady from across the street. Brady is now almost 4 years old, but in spite of his advancing age has not lost his boyish enthusiasm for life. After a long winter of being penned up in our own homes Brady came over for a tour of our house, and got reacquainted with Kay and Dixie. A little later on Kay and I stopped over at his house for a short time. Brady and I spent some quality time comparing shoe sizes. He wanted me to try on his shoes...yeah, good luck with that! Then it was time to play "hide & seek". Brady was more than happy to do the hiding, which consisted of him continually crawling under the dining room table. After several rounds I suggested that he might try a different site in which to hide, but he was quite content with his spot under the table. I guess he is a kid after my own heart as I have spent some time in the past under the table as well. Anyway, it was fun to reconnect with my little buddy, and I am looking forward to warm summer evenings on the porch with Brady discussing the possible presence of snakes and identifying the pilot of all of the airplanes that fly over our neighborhood.

1 comment:

  1. We live for the Brady updates, it has been very boring around here since winter set in and he has be sequestered in his house.

    ReplyDelete