Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Stop The World, I Want To Get Off!

I passed another birthday a week ago, and I find that I want to savor what little life that I may have left. I'm almost 80 you know...less than 26 years to go! Anyway, why does it have to be that as we get older the time continues to accelerate? Everyday there is more to do and less time to do it! It seems like Sunday ended just a couple of hours ago and now it is almost Wednesday again.

I am not going to bore you with the details of yesterday and today...Oh...maybe I will. To tell you the truth I am having a hard time remembering yesterday, and parts of today I would like to forget. The forgettable part was refereeing an 8th grade boys basketball game today at Sacajawea Middle School against Shaw Middle. I swear that my partner must have been there to greet Noah as walked down the gangplank from the ark. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but I had no clue what he was calling each time that he blew his whistle, which he did very early in the game and very often. Within the first two minutes he made about 5 traveling calls that defied understanding. Can you guess the reaction of the coaches? From there things got progressively worse, making for a difficult late afternoon. The game turned out to be quite the dogfight, and went into overtime. That prolonged the agony. In the end the home team won, mostly because they could shoot free throws better, and boy oh boy, there were a lot of them! All of that is now in the rear view mirror, and I hope that better days are ahead. The middle school basketball season comes to an end this week, so I won't have to deal with that much longer. Most of the time its great, but now and then a "creative' partner makes things a little more challenging. I think that I will spend the summer training my little buddy Brady how to blow a whistle and call technical fouls!

Tomorrow is Wednesday, and it is the final Wednesday in the season of Lent. That means one more Lenten service. We'll have a decent group again...about 45 to 50...but in a new church that seats about 225 it will look much smaller. Being a Lutheran Church I imagine that everyone will be spread widely in the back two rows of the sanctuary. Maybe I'll fool them and conduct the entire service from the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment