Monday, September 20, 2010

The Scientific Method

In the world of science, when one observes a phenomenon, one studies that phenomena to see if a recurring pattern and resulting explanation can be discovered. That observation leads to the formulation of a hypothesis, which is then tested by experimentation to determine if the hypothesis correctly explains the phenomenon, or if it fails to do so. At that point another hypothesis can be formulated and tested, or the researcher can just say "to heck with it" and go have lunch. Such was the methodology that I followed this morning as I prepared for and participated in my regular Monday morning tennis extravaganza with the posse.

Over the course of the last few months I have been aggravated by my poor play, and the fact that it would crop up on an occasional but regular basis. I took to observing the differences that occurred surrounding the times that I played like a banana slug...which has no arms or legs and oozes slime...and those few times that I have actually looked like I knew what I was doing. This morning the pattern became obvious, and the hypothesis was formulated. When I wear black ankle socks I go right in the toilet, and when I choose to wear white socks...things go much better. Since all of the clean socks in the drawer this morning were black...that was what I wore, to test the hypothesis experimentally. When I got to the club, and play began, the result was an ABJECT DISASTER! Those black socks caused me to lose every game that I served, all 6, and in the tie breaker for the final set, I lost all 3 serves. In the games that I mercifully was not serving, most of those were lost as well. The experiment was completed...the hypothesis was verified... and a new scientific truth has been brought to light! Wearing black ankle socks causes my tennis playing to stink...along with my feet.

If you see a cloud of smoke on the horizon this evening it is just me out in the backyard burning a bunch of socks!

1 comment: