Friday, September 3, 2010

Bye...Bye...Brady











As today marked the beginning of the Labor Day holiday weekend Kay and I sat on the porch and watched the entire neighborhood depart. Its going to be lonely around here for a couple of days! What we noticed was the fact that it takes our neighbors many hours to prepare to leave the area for a day or two. For us it is about a 5 minute ordeal to throw a spare pair of drawers into an overnight bag...pitch it in the car...and then hit the road. Late this afternoon we witnessed my little buddy Brady and family load their "Family Truckster" in order to spend some "quality time" at the lake. (I put quality time in parentheses due to the fact that the weather is about to go into the dumper). After each member of the family climbed in and out of the vehicle several hundred times, they finally left the driveway. At that instant I said to Kay; "they'll be right back", to which her response was; "I don't think so". Within about 30 seconds my prediction was validated. One should never doubt my prognostication!
Speaking of prognostication...as we drove home from a rather abysmal effort on the tennis court late this morning I was struck by the appearance of the clouds that were floating through. I said to Kay that the little puffs of cloud that appeared to have no flat base were an indication of unstable air, and that is usually a precursor to thunderstorms within 24 hours. None of the local weather forecasters had included thunder and lightning in their forecasts. This evening brought more clouds that gave the indication that things were getting a bit unstable, and sure enough, about 9 this evening the lightning and thunder moved over the city. I wish that there would have been more, and that the sky would have opened up and dumped a bunch of rain on us, but this is Spokane and we have to take what little we get.

No comments:

Post a Comment