Friday, September 17, 2010

Heading Into The Weekend

The weather this second half of the week has taken a turn toward the wet, and it appears as if it is going to be that way through the weekend. Right now the sun is shining, and the temperature is around 70 degrees, but there is more rain headed this way later tonight into tomorrow morning, and then again on Sunday. With that it is going to be cool, just in the low to mid 60s for highs, and down into the 40s at night. Tomorrow is a big day in the life of St. John's Lutheran Church, and an even bigger day in the life of two young people. At 5:00pm the first wedding in our new church will take place, and I will be officiating, along with my "coach" Rev. Young. He has to be involved to make it official in the eyes of the State of Washington, as I am not either licenced or ordained. I COULD go online and become licenced for a $10 fee, but that just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. The bottom line is that I will do nearly all of the service, including the all important wedding sermon, and Pastor Young will do the vows. We make a good team. What is really cool about this wedding, along with being the first one in our beautiful building, is that the groom is one of my students a couple of years ago in the aviation weather class that I teach at Spokane Falls Community College. I am looking forward to a wonderful experience for all late tomorrow afternoon. We had the rehearsal this afternoon, and I think that we might just be able to pull this off!

As I do every day now, I rose up early in the morning, almost in the predawn darkness, and headed off to teach this year's installment of University of North Dakota Aerospace majors. Friday is always lab day, so I don't do that much teaching. I just give them the assignment and the equipment to carry it out, and then supervise just enough so that the don't blow up the entire Science and Computer Science Building. So far we have made it through on week without any major cataclysms...that's a decent start. Following class it was off to the tennis court. My overall effort was good, and my play wasn't bad, I just wish that I could eliminate all of the "unforced errors". In tennis they use the term "unforced errors" to describe bonehead moves and just plain lousy shots. It also includes stupid mistakes. Take those three things away and there isn't much left to talk about, at least from my point of view. For example, the day began with Ron (who was filling in for Bill who is somewhere over on the west side of the state hindering another of his son's building projects) and I taking on John and Tuck. We quickly jumped out to a 4-1 lead before my "unforced errors" reared their ugly head once again. The end of the story is predicable...we lost in a tie breaker. That set took about and hour, which didn't leave much time or a second. We managed to get through that one, and John and I even came out victorious. His winners outnumbered my "unforced errors".

Note to John...have you been lifting weights? You're looking mighty buff these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment