Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Night...Its Time Too Party!

Party? maybe that is an overstatement. We just finished dinner and it is time to settle down to a rousing game of canasta. We have been watching Brett Favre's debut with the Minnesota Vikings...no, we haven't done that either...just as the Vikings were taking the field for their first offensive series it was time to sit down to eat. In my mind dinner always trumps the TV, unless of course, there are TV trays available.

We spent the day going back and forth to Reedsburg, WI to visit Kay's mom. She lives in the country about 5 miles out of town, and there are two ponds on the property. The smaller of the two is covered over with algae, but the bigger is mostly clear of scum and weeds, and is full of bluegills, crappie and largemouth bass. It was a cool and windy afternoon, so the fishing wasn't great. Between myself and Kay's brother John, who came up from Milwaukee, we managed to to catch about 20 fish, with 15 or so being worthy of consumption, mostly fat bluegills.

I was writing a longer post earlier this morning, and just as I finished, I lost connection with the local wireless network. I can't complain because we are pirating the network from someone else in the neighborhood, but I did have to scramble to get the facts out before we hit the road to Reedsburg. As my luck would have it, most of that road was under construction. In any event, I had to leave out the part about my brother Larry and his wife Cindy coming in yesterday to visit from Fennimore, WI. It is always nice to see them since we don't get to very often. They offered to have Beth come to their house for Thanksgiving. Their daugther Kristin lives and works in the Twin Cities so she can haul Beth back and forth. Beth's social schedule is filling up! She is going to my brother Dave's cottage in northern Wisconsin for Labor Day weekend, flying back to Spokane in early October, and going to Larry and Cindy's for Thanksgiving. There is one more brother, Rich who lives about an hour away from St. Paul, and my parents here in La Crosse, which is two and a half hours away, so Beth should have plenty to do.

I am being called to the table for canasta, so it is so long for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment