Saturday, October 9, 2010

Strike Up The Band

Another full day...starting with the Lutheran Women's Missionary League (LWML) zone rally, which consisted of me and about 80 women.  There is about a hundred different directions that you could go with that one!  That all began about 8 this morning.  The day came to a close with the announcement of the winners of the Pacific Northwest Marching Band Championships at about 9 this evening.  In between was all sorts of excitements ranging from sermonating to reading Band-O-Grams...little messages from friends and family members of the band members who were performing in this evenings competition.  Does all of this seem rather disorganized and disheveled?  Therein lies the current state of my brain!

The morning session of the LWML rally began with the invocation and devotion, which was my assignment.  That went pretty well, as I had a plan for what I was going to do and say.  Once we actually got things started it was 10am, and be the time that and the Bible study got finished it was pushing 11.  My mind was a bit preoccupied by college football, as at the same time my beloved Badgers of Wisconsin were tussling with the Golden Rodents of East Dakota...more commonly known as Minnesota.  That turned out well as Wisconsin won the game 41 to 23, and it was not as close as the score might indicate.  When lunch rolled around it was my intention to make myself scarce, reason being that a mayo infested chicken pasta salad was on the menu.  I happened to walk through the fellowship hall at just the wrong time, and was therefore corralled into joining the ladies for the meal.  You would have been proud of me as I courageously gutted it out!  Following lunch I gave my presentation to the group on the educational program that I have embarked upon through the Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, Indiana in order to fill the role of pastor at my church...St. John's Lutheran of Spokane.  I managed to hold the crowd for about a half hour, and then ran out the door, headed for Joe Albi Stadium, in order to fill my annual commitment as the announcer of the band competition.  The biggest concern this year was when the rain might hit.  An intermittent sprinkle was over the area through most of the competition, but I am happy to report that the steady rain held off until the evening's festivities were concluded.  At this point I say bring on the rain.  The bands...all high school...did an excellent job, and those gathered really enjoyed the shows.  It is amazing that mostly 15, 16 and 17 year old kids can perform at such a high level.

Now it is time to turn in...tomorrow is another busy day.  If you are in the area...why not stop in for our worship service at St. John's starting at 9:30am.  We will even feed you!

No comments:

Post a Comment