Friday, October 29, 2010

Off Day, Or Day Off?

Being that it is Friday it is my usual custom to stay as far from the church as possible, enjoying a day of rest, or some such other thing.  Well before the day dawned, as I rolled out of bed to get ready to teach this morning, the rain began to fall again.  It kept on coming down right into the afternoon.  What had been planned as a day to do yard work, getting things pretty well ready for winter, had to be re-planned.  The new plan included a nap that I am happy to say was successfully executed.

Getting back to the early morning, I did manage to make it to class before the 7:30am start time.  It was still dark as I arrived...I HATE THAT!  Friday is lab day for the group, so the students get to play around drawing meteorologically based pictures and the like, while I do my best to keep myself occupied.  It is considered bad form by the community college for the teachers to fall asleep in class, snore and drool all over themselves so I am faced with a challenge.  Following the class period it is time to hit the tennis courts again with the posse.  One of our regular members, Bill, is down in California helping one of 413 sons move into a new home.  Bill's assignment is to build a fence to keep the dog in the yard.  Anyway, Jim filled in for Bill, quite well I might add, and we had a spirited morning.  To start with I was paired with my good buddy John, who is usually meaner than cougar &*$%.  We got off to a slow start, getting behind 5-2, but John's meanness kicked in and we came roaring back.  We managed to get to a tie breaker...6-6...and we went on from there to beat Jim and Tuck.  That took about an hour.  The second set featured Jim and I, and we were cruising along 5-2 when John decided that he just wasn't mean enough anymore to continue, so that was that.  This evening we are going to be meeting some friends downtown for a glass of wine and appetizers.  Tomorrow and Sunday it will be back to work as this is the weekend that we Lutherans celebrate the Reformation, so I have two different services to prepare for, and a couple of classes to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment