Monday, October 11, 2010

Really Bad Service!!!

Okay...the week from Hades is finally over, and some semblance of normality (whatever that is) should be returning.  This morning the alarm sound at 6:30am, as it is wont to do, at which time it took me almost a half hour (at least it seemed that long) to find it and shut it off.  I had to ask Kay if it was Sunday or Monday as I was in a totally confused state of consciousness.  I was hoping that she would say Sunday, as I would have another hour before having to drag my backside out of bed, but alas, reality set in as I was informed that it was indeed another Monday morning.  Off I went to teach my 7:30 aviation weather class at the Community College, and then it was time to meet my "Lay Posse" at the tennis court for our usual Monday morning romp.  Something must be totally out of whack with the earth-atmosphere system and the space time continuum as all I can say is that this morning's results were way to weird to qualify for any "normal" explanation.  The fun began with John and I one one side of the net looking into the eyes of Tuck and Bill on the other.  They had one the right to serve, and Bill was first to do the honors.  He let loose with some blazing smashes, which were then smartly returned by John and myself.  we managed to break Bill's serve and win that first game, at which time we gave each other a little wink that meant that we just knew that we were on our way to a resounding victory.  I was next to serve 'em up, and our glee was short-lived.  Bill and Tuck broke back.  What followed has never before been recorded on this blog site, and too their knowledge, never before been seen in the somewhat lengthy lifetimes of the posse.  In the entire first set, not once the did the serving side hold...that is 12 straight games.  The score was knotted at 6-6, so it was off to a tie breaker.  In the end Tuck and Bill came out on top 9-7 in the tie break to win the set.  Set number two began just as set number one had ended, except that it was now Tuck and I looking across the net at John and Bill, as the first two games were lost by the serving team.  FINALLY, Bill broke through, and the streak was broken (so to speak).  Tuck and I meekly succumbed 6-1 in that set, so I went into the 3rd without having won a service game.  That was finally remedied in the final set, as Bill and I went on to claim victory in a shortened set, 5-1.

In the world of weather, what was a gray and wet day yesterday has turned into one of those textbook October days today.  The sky is blue, the sun is shining and the air is crisp.  Tonight there will very likely be a lot of frost and freezing temperatures in the valley areas around our area.  The coldest air is most dense, so it slips down into the low lying areas when the sky above is clear and the wind is light, as it will be tonight.  Up on the hill, where we live, we will probably be okay, but I will be keeping a close watch on the temperatures so as to best protect my tomato crop in the backyard.

1 comment:

  1. Since we last heard from Brady, he has graduated college, married and has three children living in Montana. Old farts playing tennis will never be as interesting as alligators in the lake.

    ReplyDelete