Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hold My Calls

I will be tied up in a meeting all day today. I am actually looking forward to it...kind of. Today the Washington Department of Transportation (from now on labeled the DOT) will be convening the first general meeting of the US Highway 195 Safety Action Team. I may not have been taken in the NFL Draft, again, but I was selected to this team due to my persistent complaining to the DOT about the unsafe conditions on the highway the passes by the front door of St. John's Lutheran Church. Just last May, on Mother's Day, a 9 year old girl was killed in an accident at 195 and Meadowlane Road, which is the intersection where the church is located. That was the same day as we held the ground breaking ceremony for our new building. The DOT has a grand plan for that roadway, costing many, many millions of dollars, of which they now have about $13.67. It will be 20 or 30 years before anything "concrete" is done. The purpose of today's meeting is to find low cost (less than $3.52) solutions to the safety issues in this fast growing part of Spokane.

Anyway, I would like to make a motion...actually two! First, I move that the DOT lower the speed limit along the 6 mile stretch of 195 from Hatch Road to I-90 from 55 miles per hour to 45 miles per hour. Do I hear a second? Good, all in favor say "aye"...opposed just be quiet! Motion carried. Now, I move we adjourn. There...wasn't that easy!

I don't think it will be quite that simple. Oh well, it is going to be a rainy day anyway, so I might as well be stuck inside. At least they are feeding us lunch. Actually, I'm buying...it is being payed for with tax dollars.

2 comments:

  1. Lowering the speed limit is only good if it is enforced, normally it is not until something tragic happens, which it sounds like it already has. So is 55MPH being enforced now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, asking that the speed limit be lowered is logic. You are dealing with government. Logic and government are like oil and water, and logical government is one of those oxymorons I believe.

    ReplyDelete