Monday, April 12, 2010

Almost Drowned!

For nearly three weeks I have been battling a problem with my right hip. It started with a freak occurrence while refereeing an 8th grade basketball game, and just hasn't seemed to want to go away. The game was at Sacajawea Middle School here on the South Hill of Spokane. While trying to execute a quick change of direction due to a steal of the ball at mid court my rather substantial body continued to travel in one direction while my more spindly right leg turned to head back the other way. The result was not at all a pretty thing to watch, which is usually the case with just about anything that I do. The bottom line is that I now have another piece of evidence that clearly points out that I am getting old at an exponentially accelerating rate. This event has had a debilitating effect on my ability to play tennis...as if I needed another debilitating effect on my ability to play tennis. Since the guys, Bill, Tuck and John are a year or two older than I (maybe that is 27 or 28 years older) I usually rely on my mobility and quickness to remain competitive. With a balky hip that advantage has been lost. I must say that I have been making slow progress toward recovery, but there is much therapy left before me. That brings me to tonight. After a rousing tennis session this morning, I have been moving rather slowly ever since. I decided to take advantage of the hot tub for a little bit of physical therapy. Upon heading out the back door I was inundated by a steady rain. Undaunted I stepped into the 104 degree water and gutted it out...all in the name of making a full recovery.

That rain is a good thing though, as my lawn and planting beds need the moisture in order to green up and bloom for the spring. The backyard is looking good, but the front yard, which I firmly believe is the coldest spot in the Spokane metro area still needs some help. The weather is finally looking like it will be warming up at the end of the week, with temperatures well into the 60s to near 70 degrees, so I am looking forward to big things.

Speaking of big things...this weekend is going to be HUGE in the life of our church, St. John's Lutheran of Spokane. On Saturday we are going to have a public open house from 1 to 4 in the afternoon, and then on Sunday afternoon at 4 we will be celebrating our Dedication Service. The road we have been traveling to our new home has taken us nearly 5 years to travel, but we have finally made it. If you are in the area why not stop in to see what God has done?

No comments:

Post a Comment