Friday, April 30, 2010

Get Back Out There!

It is Friday morning, and I will be off to the tennis court to have another butt kicking administered by the "Posse". That would pretty much sum up Wednesday morning's experience as the combination of my ineptitude and the skill and "rascality" of my regular group put me to great shame. I do have a little inspiration this morning as one member of the group, who will go unnamed, has really got me hacked off. You see John will be celebrating a very significant birthday on Monday, and he is going to be ducking us in order to, as he puts it, celebrate with his family on a trip to Leavenworth. The guys has had 80 years to celebrate with his family! He can't tell them all where to get off and celebrate with his friends?...despicable!

In the past few days I have had some requests for the results of the meeting regarding the sad state of safety affairs on the stretch of US Highway 195 that passes in front of our church. What is very unsettling is the fact that the government authorities and officials can't even come to an agreement to whether it is US Highway 195 or State Route 195. The end result of Tuesday's activities will not be evident until the latter part of this year. This section of highway will be designated a "Traffic Safety Corridor", which means that it will be a priority for "low cost improvements" over the next two years to make it a less dangerous place to drive. There were many ideas bandied about. I brought up the idea of dropping the speed limit, which had the State Patrol salivating but the traffic engineers were cringing. They claim that because it looks like mostly a rural highway many drivers will not obey the lower speed limit creating a greater safety problem. Using my new found friendship with the State Troopers I had them all immediately stopped and cited for failure to yield to my right of way. One thing that the State will be spending a little money on is to educate the deer, elk, moose and coyotes to stay off the roadway during high traffic periods, and they will also be installing railroad style crossing arms that come down across the intersecting roadways anytime a driver of 70 years or older comes to one of the intersections to enter or cross the highway.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update regarding your experience dealing with Gov't. You should run for office. Educating the animals works for me, I suppose the course is pass/fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh The bureaucracy again has the right answers. Educate critters and beware of our elders. If people won't obey the law......don't use the law.
    Why am I not surprised?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we could significantly shrink the state budget deficit by lowering the speed limit and having some serious enforcement. This stretch of highway 195 is a problem but I think that overall, Washington has the best drivers in the country. They always look both ways before running the stop sign. :)

    ReplyDelete