Monday, January 31, 2011

You Called That Out?

As was reported last night, I was out on the tennis court again this morning.  All was going along pretty much according to the usual routine through the first set...in which I got my butt kicked...but there came a big change at the beginning of the second.  Through the luck of the draw it fell to me to begin the set on the serve, and right off the bat I blasted one that clearly hit the line on the outside of the service box and was missed by at least a mile by my opponent.  As I walked over to the other side of the court to prepare for my next serve that member of the posse (who will go un-named) called the initial serve out.  My partner immediately turned to me with a look of total disbelief, and the partner of my un-named opponent looked across the net in a completely puzzled fashion.  Based on these reactions I felt the need to ask the offending member of the group; "You called that out?"  To which the response was a rather feeble, "Yes."  What followed was an extremely focused effort on my part that resulted in my partner and I winning that game, and then going on to win the set 6-0 against the offending party and his unfortunate teammate.  As I am known as a very forgiving and humble man, I shrugged off this terrible injustice and played on, but alas, I did have to once again raise the question at the end of the set as to why in the world that this person could call an obviously superior effort on the serve to be out when it clearly hit squarely on the white line.  I never did get a satisfactory explanation.  From there we continued on and all went well through the end of our session.

After tennis it was time to head off to the church to try to figure out just what it is that I do for a living, and try to accomplish it.  Late this afternoon I headed back out onto the court...this time a basketball court...to officiate a couple of middle school games.  These games went quite well, and I didn't have to throw any coaches out of the gym, and none of them made any horrible line calls (unlike what happened this morning).  The evening was highlighted by sushi and pan-seared scallops so the day ended well.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

One final note:  For all who read this and are dealing with the blizzard in the middle of the country please keep in mind that we are experiencing global warming and this snowstorm is just a figment of your imagination...do get over it!  (that's what my buddy Al Gore told me to say.)

No comments:

Post a Comment