Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Back in the Saddle

In our past episode, it was a gray, cool and damp day in Fort Rain, Windiana.  As I look out my office window it is another gray, cool and damp day, this time in Spokane, WA.  It seems as if the only thing that has changed has been my location...about 2000 miles and 3 time zones farther west.

I made my return trip to the Great Northwest on Saturday morning.  On Friday night my friend and cohort Rich and I were in Chicago, visiting with members of his family, and didn't get back to the hotel until about 11:30pm.  Sleep happened by about midnight, but it was rudely interrupted by the alarm clock at 4:00am.  We checked out of the hotel...ah, no we didn't, as there was no one at the front desk at that hour.  We drove to Midway Airport and checked in the rental car...ah, no we didn't, as there was no one at the rental return desk at that hour, and we checked in for our flight...ah, no we didn't as we had both done that the morning before.  Anyway, we board our Frontier flight to Denver for a 6:00am departure,  and parted company in Denver as Rich headed back for the Sacramento area and I to Spokane.  My flight hit the ground at Spokane International Airport at 9:00am PDT, a full 38 minutes ahead of schedule.  Since we were early I made the decision to call home to alert my bride of that fact.  As I announced to her that we were on the ground the response that I got was "Oh crap!"  How's that for a welcome home after being away from home for a week.

I once I got back home I quickly turned things around so that I could head for the church to get things prepared for Sunday.  I must have looked like death warmed over that day as everybody that stopped by said, "You look like death warmed over!"  After getting little sleep for a week at the seminary, a very short night in Chicago, and being crammed into a space the size of a watermelon on two different airplanes for 4 hours Saturday morning I really didn't care what I looked like.

Sunday morning came and I was told that I looked better...not good, mind you, but better.  We had a baptism in the morning worship service, little Tommy.  He's about a year and a half old and the cutest little guy that you could imagine.  Sunday afternoon was spent getting caught up on all of the usual stuff that didn't get done around the house all week.  Kay got plenty done last week but for some reason I was a bit remiss in my duties.

I am still having issues adjusting back to Pacific Time.  All last week I was waking up between 6:30 and 7:00am.  I am still waking up between 6:30 and 7:00am, but the problem is that it's Eastern Time, which makes it between 3:30 and 4:00am here.  On Monday morning I did manage to get back to sleep and was out cold when Kay's alarm went of at 7:55.  Have you ever had that experience where you have no idea where you are, who's clock is making all that noise and what day it is?  "Is that my alarm?  What day is it!  Is it Sunday, do we have church this morning?  Am I preaching  Monday, you say?  What do I do on Monday?   What I do on Monday is reconnect with the tennis posse for my regular butt-whoopin'!  It was somewhere in the second set that I finally regained full consciousness.

Now I am back behind my desk, once again trying to figure out just what I do around here.  I've got some reading to do and a paper to write for the class that I am taking this quarter, but motivation seems to be an issue.  (That's why it has taken since Friday morning for me to write again)  We'll see...how...far......I........get..............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

No comments:

Post a Comment