Friday, July 22, 2011

Coming Up Big

Time for an update on the broken body of my posse member John.  He is healing rather nicely, but once the body passes the point of 80 years old it takes a little longer.  In spite of the slower pace of his return to health he was out there again this morning, as was I and the rest of the regular posse...such as it now is.  That means that Bill and the Hammer were participating.  To start things off I was teamed with the old cripple...I mean John.  He was happy again from the start, but even with that we quickly found ourselves in an 0-2 hole, and then down 1-4.  Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, we have found ourselves in such a position before.  Let me just say this, something happened that got my attention...I won't go so far as to say raise my ire...and things began to turn.  The old geezer...er, John...and I came roaring back.  When all was said and done we won the set 7-5.  From there I went on to win the next set with the Hammer, and finally an abbreviated final set with Bill.  That made me the BIG winner for the day.  Usually I am just big.  Seldom am I the big winner.

After my romp with the posse I stayed to play with the pro.  This is basically a free clinic for an hour and a half that occurs each Friday from 11:00am to 12:30pm.  Kevin, the pro, put us through a rigorous workout...and tried to totally redesign my backhand...without much success.  I came away from the experience exhausted and humbled, which is pretty much how I live my life.

This day has been dominated by an extreme sense of sadness due to what occurred over in Norway.  The latest reports indicate that more than 80 people may be dead...most teenagers at a youth camp...after twin terror attacks during the late afternoon and early evening.  I can't imagine the pain that those who were subject to this tragedy are feeling, especially those who have lost children.  I'm sure we will be finding out much more about the person who did this, and why, in the next few days, but we will very likely never be able to make any sense of it other than the fact that there is a great deal of evil in this world that won't be eradicated until Christ comes back again to recreate heaven and earth, and to gather his people to himself for all eternity.  I will be praying for the people of Norway, especially those who have been directly affected by this horrible act.  I hope that you will join me in these prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment