Sunday, November 7, 2010

Amazing Feet!

Well...I have come to the end of the weekend, and my size 15 clodhoppers are barking after officiating 9 basketball games in less than 48 hours.  Today was probably the most strenuous, but at the same time the most enjoyable.  After church I had to drive almost to Idaho, just south of the Canadian border is seemed like, to reach Mountain View Middle School.  There I had 3 games of 4th grade girls.  In all 3 games the coaches had their kids pushing the ball up the court on each possession, and very often those possessions ended in a quick turnover that had us heading rapidly in the other direction.  One of the key things to refereeing basketball is to have a good partner, and today I was blessed to have just that.  That means that I don't have to worry about trying to cover for the other guys blown or missed calls, and can concentrate on what I have to do while having confidence that my partner will concentrate on his responsibilities.  I often tell the new guys that your partner is the only friend that you have out there...everyone else pretty much hates your guts...so you want to be able to rely on him, while at the same time making his job as easy as possible.  Ken and I made a pretty good team, and after our last game the grandfather of one of the girls came up to us and said that we were the best officials that he had seen.  That makes it all worthwhile.

We had quite a change in the weather today, going from mild and dry to cool windy and wet.  I am afraid that the days of 60 degree temperatures and sunshine are now gone for the season, and probably won't return again until April of 2011.  This week is looking chilly, windy and damp, with high temperatures in the 40s, which is about normal, and we will very likely see some snowflakes in the middle to later part of the week, although at this time I don't see any "major" snowstorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment