Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hittin' the Road

Early (very early) tomorrow morning we will be loading up the Family Truckster and heading out for points east...a lot of points.  Our final destination is Minnesota and Wisconsin, with the purpose of the trip to deliver our sweet little daughter Beth, and another very sizable chunk of our life's savings to Concordia University in St. Paul, MN for another year of higher education.  After we dump her out, I mean move her in, we will be heading to Hodag Country in north central Wisconsin for some R & R at my brother Dave's place on Post Lake.  From there it will be off to Reedsburg, WI, then the New Glarus Brewing Company, Baumgartener's Cheese Store and Tavern in Monroe, WI and then Chicago.  On the way back we are going to hit Yellowstone for a day and perhaps take a mudbath.  All in all this excursion should last a couple of weeks, but I am sure that the memories will last a lifetime.  Today I am at the church furiously trying to finish all that needs to be finished before we leave...a goal that I am sure to fall short of.  By sometime late this evening I might have the opportunity to start thinking about what I may want to take along.

As I mentioned last week, our tennis sessions were turning into wars.  It was that way all week long as Jim filled in for one of the regulars, John, as he was off in Montana trying to connect with the fish.  Most all of our sets were grueling affairs that ended in tie breakers and exhaustion.  Well, John returned yesterday (I wonder if he still smells like fish today),  and he seemed like his old "happy" self.  I'm not sure where I want to put the emphasis...on old or on happy.  Anyway, as John rejoined us our matches went from the power game back to a more cerebral type.  That always makes my head hurt.  The way I play tennis can never be described as cerebral!  Each morning, Monday...Wednesday...and Friday...I do more dumb things than most people can in a lifetime.  In spite of that, things turned out okay.  I didn't get my butt kicked until the 3rd set.  Now I will be away from the posse for a couple of weeks, a reality that I am sure that they will be reveling in.

So, off I go, across the wilds of Idaho, Montana and North Dakota in the next couple of days, with my sights set on Minnesota and Wisconsin.  I'll have some reports from the road, and maybe even a picture or two...if I feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment