Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Egg Stuffin!

While I sit here at the computer letting you in on all of (well...a few of) the mundane things that are going on in my world my lovely wife Kay is stuffing plastic Easter eggs with information about our preschool in order that they may be distributed to parents of young children next Saturday at the Eagle Ridge Easter Egg hunt.  If you have never beheld this event you have certainly missed out on an important piece of Americana.  Traditionally the hunt takes place at 11am on the day before Easter...Saturday.  What happens is that the park is totally empty until about 5 minutes before the commencement of the festivities, at which time hoards of little tykes and their parents descend on the place.  At 11 straight up the gun goes off, or whistle, or whatever...but I might prefer a gun.  What happens next is a free for all in which the kids beat on each other in order to secure all of the eggs for themselves, and all the while the parents are yelling "Great hit Junior, now take out another one.  After about a minute and a half all of the eggs have been vacuumed up by the little nippers and they all disappear as quickly as they arrived leaving a mass of empty water bottles and used diaper strewn about the countryside for those of us who volunteer to help to clean up.  Typically the weather for the event stinks, always cold windy and wet, which appears to be on the docket again this year.

Did I mention the weather...I guess I did.  Today was another typical Spokane spring day, chilly and cloudy.  This evening the rain began to fall once again and I can hear the winds out there a howlin'.  Tomorrow looks like another cool and cloudy day with just a few sprinkles to keep things damp.  If we get to 50 it will be a good thing.  I am hearing questions...more like complaints...about when we might get some warm weather around here.  At this point I am holding out for June of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment