Monday, March 7, 2011

Skunks!

When it comes to things that stink, the top spot on the dung heap has to be the skunk.  That's probably why the term "Skunked" came to be used as a descriptor of futility in athletic and other competition.  When one is "skunked" one has been totally beaten and totally humiliated.  Such an occurrence took place earlier today.  Being that it's Monday I was out there on the tennis court for my regular beat-down.  One member of the "posse", Tuck,  hasn't been feeling well for about the past week so we have had a couple of guys who have been temporarily deputized, Jim and Mark.  Today it was Jim's turn to join the fray, and he became quite difficult to handle, at least from my point of view.  Jim and John dispatched Bill and I 6-4 in the first set, and then I was teamed with my good buddy John in the second.  Now we generally do quite well together, but here is where the herd of skunks walk in!  From the first serve of this second set it was evident that something was beginning to rot, and the stench just spread from there.  By the time it was all over John and I had been overwhelmed, not necessarily by the superior play of our opponents, but more truthfully our own malodorous performance.  The final score was 6-0, and that result really doesn't do justice to how bad we were.  Oh, well...the day can only get better from here...I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment